This page includes videos and resources to help accredited continuing education leaders, clinician educators, and administrators respond to healthcare inequities and social injustices. As an educational community, we have an opportunity to be part of the solution, navigating a path from empathy to understanding to action.
This resource page is part of the Meeting Challenges Together webinar series, created to convene our accredited continuing education community to address important, topical concerns and opportunities for our learners, educational teams, organizations, and the communities we serve.
If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’re here to help.
- Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC): Unconscious Bias Resources for Health Professionals
- Project Implicit: Implicit Association Test (IAT)
- University of California, San Francisco: Transcript: Impact of Unconscious Bias
- ASCD: Nine Competencies for Teaching Empathy
- The Center for Building a Culture of Empathy and Compassion: Increasing Empathy
- Empathetics: Why Empathy Training?
- The Schwartz Center for Compassionate Healthcare: Yes, Empathy Can Be Taught!
- TED Talks: The Power of Empathy: Helen Riess at TEDxMiddlebury
Address equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) though your program’s continuing education practice and activities
Concrete ways that accredited providers can address EDI include (1) focusing continuing education topics and content on inequity and racism that exacerbate health disparities, (2) reflecting EDI in planners and faculty for continuing education—including patients, families, and other public representatives, and (3) ensuring that EDI variables such as social factors, affordability and access of recommended treatment, and cultural/linguistic competency are considered and addressed in continuing education.
Ethical Expectations of Physicians:
- Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC): Exploring Racism and Health: An Intensive Interactive Session for Medical Students
- American College of Physicians (ACP): American College of Physicians Ethics Manual
- Florida Library Webinars: #OwnVoices for All Readers: Incorporating EDI Values into Readers’ Advisory Service
- University of Houston: Diversity Activities Resource Guide
- American Hospital Association: Diversity in Health Care: Examples from the Field
- Society for Human Resource Management: How to Develop a Diversity and Inclusion Initiative
- UC Davis Health System: Excellence in People and Campus Climate
American Association of Medical Colleges (AAMC)
- Achieving excellence through equity, diversity, and inclusion
- Anti-racism in Medicine Collection
- Assessing Institutional Culture and Climate
- Enhancing Institutional Diversity through Inclusion of All Sexual Orientations and Gender Identities
- The Difference: How the Power of Diversity Creates Better Groups, Firms, Schools, and Societies
- Unconscious Bias Resources for Health Professionals
Council on Social Work Education
Inside Higher Ed
Last Week Tonight with John Oliver
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
Public Health Reports
- Adopting an Anti-Racism Public Health Curriculum Competency: The University of Washington Experience