PARS Now Open for ABIM MOC Registration
We are pleased to announce that beginning today CME providers can register their activities for American Board of Internal Medicine’s (ABIM) Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program in the ACCME Program and Activity Reporting System (PARS). As part of this registration process, CME providers attest to compliance with ABIM-specific requirements for the Medical Knowledge Assessment Recognition Program and submit participant data. Providers will be able to submit participant data by the end of 2015. ABIM no longer requires CME providers to submit applications for activity review and approval.
As we previously announced, the ACCME and ABIM formed this collaboration to expand the number and diversity of accredited CME activities that offer points in ABIM’s MOC program, and to streamline the process for registering CME activities for ABIM MOC. We developed the collaboration in response to requests from physicians and accredited CME providers.
Save the Date–CME That Counts for ABIM MOC Webinar
We will hold a webinar on October 14 from 10:00 am–11:30 am Central to answer your questions about registering CME activities for ABIM’s MOC program in PARS and to share strategies for advancing CME in support of MOC. This webinar is open to all accredited providers in the ACCME System as well as to other stakeholders who may be participating in this process. Space is limited and we suggest that you sign up in advance. Please review the educational resources on our website in preparation for the webinar. We also invite you to submit your questions in advance.
Resources and Support
To support your participation in this process, we’ve created the following resources:
- CME that counts for ABIM MOC: Dedicated webpage for CME providers with updates, information, and links to resources
- Ask ACCME about CME and MOC
- Registering CME Activities for ABIM’s MOC Program: A step-by-step tutorial for CME providers
- ABIM’s Medical Knowledge Assessment Recognition Program Guide: The requirements accredited CME providers must meet to have their activities recognized in ABIM’s MOC program
- CME for ABIM MOC: Dedicated webpage for physicians with information, updates, and links to resources
- List of CME+ABIM MOC Activities: A sortable list of accredited CME activities that are registered for ABIM MOC
We welcome your questions and feedback. The ACCME is responsible for support of accredited CME providers. ABIM is responsible for support of ABIM Board Certified physicians. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Feedback from Beta Testers
We thank the CME providers who participated in the beta testing of the PARS modifications related to ABIM’s MOC program. Feedback was very positive, with beta testers reporting that it was “easy” or “very easy” to use PARS to register CME activities for MOC. Testers submitted valuable questions and suggestions, which we have used to improve the process and to produce educational resources to assist providers.
- “We are happy to have the opportunity to award ABIM MOC points for educational offerings that meet the ABIM criteria and report this through PARS.” — Dorothy Lane, MD, MPH, Associate Dean, CME, SUNY School of Medicine at Stony Brook
- “Very well organized and explained. Thanks for such a thoughtful implementation so far.” — Ailene Cantelmi, Associate Director, Assessment, Accreditation and Online Learning, Endocrine Society
- “Excellent integration of the ABIM MOC [activity registration] application. I have used PARS extensively in the past, and am currently in a role that requires submitting activities for MOC approval. This is a fantastic way to streamline two very important elements of medical education.” — Shelly Ganguli, MOC Project Manager, Society of Hospital Medicine
- “The PARS system appears to be the best way to collect data on MOC and to have the data in a centralized location.” — Annette Mallory Donawa, PhD, Assistant Dean for CME, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine