How to Help Your ABIM Certified Physicians Meet Their Five Year MOC Point Requirement
As part of the American Board of Internal Medicine's (ABIM) Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program, board certified physicians need to earn 100 MOC points every five years to stay certified. To provide more flexibility to physicians during the COVID-19 pandemic, ABIM has extended the deadline for all 2020 MOC requirements to 12/31/20. While your learners will not need to earn points by 12/31/2020 to avoid a change in their certification status, encouraging them to earn and claim MOC points as they go ensures the activities they do now will count later and helps avoid last minute end of year rushes.
To assist your learners in this process you can:
- Let your learners know that your CME+ABIM MOC activities count toward meeting their MOC requirements. Promote these opportunities clearly and frequently through your communication channels, such as your website, social media, newsletters, etc. Use the ABIM CME+MOC badge to identify your activities. You can download the badge here.
- Communicate to learners that the process is simple and easy. Explain how they can earn ABIM MOC points at your activities. Clarify that you, as the CME provider, will take care of reporting their MOC points to ABIM.
- Remind learners to claim MOC points for eligible activities they have recently completed.
- CME providers and learners can search for ABIM IDs by the learner’s name or NPI number. To find a physician’s ABIM ID, go to http://www.abim.org/verify-physician.aspx.
- Please report your 2020 CME that counts for ABIM MOC learner completion data in PARS by December 31.
- We encourage you to submit learner data as soon as possible after the activity is completed, so that ABIM can apply the MOC points to physicians' records. This will help manage your learners’ expectations for reporting points, especially for activities that take place late in the year.
For more information, please visit CME that Counts for MOC.
Questions? Contact us at email@example.com.