State Medical Society Events Include ACCME Presentations
The ACCME participated in the following state medical society events in October. This participation is part of the ongoing support the ACCME provides for the intrastate accreditation system and for Recognized Accreditors (state/territory medical societies recognized by the ACCME as accreditors of local CME providers).
- Marcia K. Martin, Manager, Provider Education and Outreach, ACCME, led three sessions at the Medical Association of the State of Alabama (MASA) Provider Workshop. She discussed the “Proposal for Simplifying and Evolving the Accreditation Requirements and Process.” She explained how providers can demonstrate responsive leadership in their institutions and communities and how CME can be a strategic partner in addressing local public health initiatives. Ms. Martin led a discussion about strategies for simplifying the processes for planning and implementing CME activities and gave a tour of the educational resources available on the ACCME Web site.
- Steve Singer, PhD, Director, Education and Outreach; and Kelly Roberts, Manager of Systems Education and Outreach, ACCME, presented at the Illinois State Medical Society (ISMS) CME Planners’ and Surveyors’ Workshop. They discussed the “Proposal for Simplifying and Evolving the Accreditation Requirements and Process.” They described the discussions the ACCME has held with healthcare leadership organizations regarding the role of accredited CME in improving the health of the public and explained opportunities for CME to act as a strategic asset to government agencies’ health improvement initiatives.
- Kate Regnier MA, MBA, Deputy Chief Executive and COO, ACCME, gave a presentation at the 160th Maine Medical Association (MMA) Annual Session. In her talk, “The Changing Face of Continuing Medical Education: Accredited CME in Support of Change and Leadership,” Ms. Regnier explained the role of accredited CME providers as change agents, advancing public health initiatives, improving professional practice, and contributing to better, safer care in Maine and nationwide. Ms. Regnier also described the opportunities for CME to advance interprofessional collaborative practice and education through the Joint Accreditation Program™, a collaboration of the ACCME, Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education, and the American Nurses Credentialing Center.
- Dr. Singer participated in the Missouri State Medical Association (MSMA) and Kansas Medical Society (KMS) 2013 Continuing Medical Education Conference. He gave an overview of the “Proposal for Simplifying and Evolving the Accreditation Requirements and Process.” He discussed how CME how providers can demonstrate responsive leadership and support health care improvement initiatives.
- Dr. Singer participated in the Oregon Medical Association (OMA) 2013 CME Provider Conference. He described the scope of the ACCME accreditation system nationally and in Oregon. He discussed how accredited providers can demonstrate responsive leadership to their institutions, systems of care, communities, government, and public. In addition, he gave an overview of the “Proposal for Simplifying and Evolving the Accreditation Requirements and Process.”