Recognized Accreditor CME Provider Conferences Include ACCME Updates
The ACCME participated in the following CME provider conferences this summer. The participation is part of the ongoing support the ACCME provides for the intrastate accreditation system and for Recognized Accreditors (state/territory medical societies recognized by the ACCME as accreditors of local CME providers).
At each conference, ACCME speakers discussed the 2014 simplification of the accreditation requirements and process, and the proposal for a menu of new criteria for Accreditation with Commendation. In addition, speakers addressed the topics described below.
- Steve Singer, PhD, Director, Education and Outreach, ACCME, gave several presentations at the Michigan Conference on CME Accreditation, held by the Michigan State Medical Society (MSMS) in August. In one presentation, he used case studies to discuss the ACCME’s expectations regarding compliance with the Standards for Commercial Support: Standards to Ensure Independence in CME Activities℠ (SCS), focusing on identification and resolution of conflict of interest. In another presentation, he addressed the scope of accredited CME in Michigan and across the country, and discussed accreditation decision trends from 2008– 2014.
- Dr. Singer presented at the Nebraska Medical Association (NMA) Continuing Medical Education Provider Workshop, held in July. He described the scope of the ACCME accreditation system nationally and in Nebraska, and discussed how CME can be a strategic asset in support of public health initiatives and the Clinical Learning Environment Review (CLER) program of the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME).
- Dr. Singer participated via phone in the 2014 New Mexico Medical Society (NMMS) CME Accredited Provider Conference, held in June. He discussed the process for achieving accreditation through the Joint Accreditation for Interprofessional Continuing Education™ program and answered participants’ questions about compliance with ACCME accreditation requirements.
- Marcia K. Martin, Manager, Provider Education and Outreach, ACCME; and Kelly Roberts, Manager of Systems Education and Outreach, ACCME, participated in a surveyor webinar held in July by the Ohio State Medical Association (OSMA). They discussed the roles and responsibilities of surveyors in the accreditation process and explained the ACCME’s expectations regarding compliance with the Standards for Commercial Support: Standards to Ensure Independence in CME Activities℠ (SCS).
- Dr. Singer presented at the 2014 West Virginia State Medical Association (WVSMA) Provider Conference, held in July. He described the scope of the ACCME accreditation system nationally and in West Virginia and discussed how CME can provide strategic value to public health initiatives.