In August 2015, ACCME and the American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM) announced a collaboration to simplify the integration of Maintenance of Certification (MOC) and accredited CME for ABIM diplomates and CME providers. In April 2016, ACCME announced similar collaborations with the American Board of Anesthesiology (ABA) and the American Board of Pediatrics (ABP) for board certified anesthesiologists and pediatricians. In March 2018, ACCME announced an additional collaboration with the American Board of Pathology (ABPath). As a result of these collaborations, accredited providers can now register CME activities that relate to the scope of these boards for MOC points using ACCME’s Program and Activity Reporting System (PARS). This tutorial is designed to help accredited providers with the process of registering accredited CME activities for MOC points in PARS.
All CME providers accredited within the ACCME system already use PARS to enter data about each of their CME activities. CME providers can now also use PARS to register activities for MOC points by attesting to compliance with the requirements from the respective board(s). The following describes each step of registering an activity for MOC points.
STEP 1: UNDERSTAND the PROGRAM EXPECTATIONS of each of the participating boards
In order to register your CME activity for MOC points, you will need to attest (see Step 3 below) that the activity meets the relevant requirements and policies specified by the board(s) to which the content relates. Here are links to the requirements for each of the participating boards:
- American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM) Assessment Recognition Program
- American Board of Anesthesiology (ABA) MOCA 2.0® Program
- American Board of Pediatrics (ABP) Program Guide
- American Board of Pathology Program Requirements (PDF)
STEP 2: ENTER ACTIVITY DATA INTO PARS
If your activity already has been opened in PARS and you want to register it for MOC points, you can locate the activity record under the Activities tab and click on the update link for that activity.
STEP 3: COMPLETING REQUESTED INFORMATION ABOUT MOC
2. Once you select “Yes” you will be asked, “With which specialty board(s) would you like to register this activity?” Check the box next to the applicable board(s).
3. Upon selecting one or more boards, a section will open for each specialty board selected asking you to attest to the applicable board(s)’s terms for awarding credit.
4. After you complete the attestation, additional sections will open for you to complete for each board selected. These sections ask about content areas, points/credits, and – for some boards – patient safety applicability. Please be sure to read through these sections carefully and enter in all required information.
Additionally, you will need to enter additional data in the section entitled, “Information for ACCME’s CME Finder.” This information will be published in the ACCME’s CME Finder, a web-based tool to help learners find CME activities that are registered for MOC.
After you have completed the information for ACCME’s CME Finder, you may save the activity and either quit the application or add another activity.