The ACCME and the American Board of Anesthesiology® (ABA®) have collaborated to simplify the integration of the Maintenance of Certification in Anesthesiology Program® (known as MOCA 2.0®) and accredited CME. We formed this collaboration to expand the number and diversity of accredited CME activities that offer ABA MOCA 2.0 Part 2 (Lifelong Learning and Self-Assessment) credits, and to streamline the process for CME providers to register activities in ABA's MOCA 2.0 program. We developed the collaboration in response to requests from physicians and accredited CME providers.
For general information about registering CME activities for MOC credit, please see our CME in Support of MOC webpage.
On this webpage
The ACCME and the ABA have worked together to enhance the functionality of ACCME’s Program and Activity Reporting System (PARS) to allow CME providers to register activities that are relevant to anesthesiologists and directly link each CME activity to the ABA’s MOCA Minute® content outline using specific content codes. This process has important advantages for the CME provider community:
- First, because every MOCA Minute question is already linked to the content outline, ABA diplomates will be able to identify areas where they have knowledge gaps and will use the CME Finder to search for CME activities linked to these areas. This means that CME linked to these content codes will be shown to diplomates who have a demonstrated need for these specific activities. CME Finder will display ABA MOCA 2.0 CME activities beginning in 2017.
- Second, the ABA will aggregate and analyze diplomates’ performance on individual MOCA Minute questions to give CME providers content code-specific performance data, enabling providers to evaluate the reach and impact of their current CME offerings and to explore opportunities for new activities.
Accredited providers within the ACCME System may use the CME\ABA MOCA 2.0 badge to identify and promote CME activities that are registered for ABA MOCA 2.0 Part 2 credits. Use of the badge is optional and may appear on any activity materials, brochures, and announcements that promote CME activities that also earn MOCA credits. Accredited providers may determine the size and placement of the badge; however, providers are not permitted to make changes to the badge. Additional guidelines, including instruction on how to reference The American Board of Anesthesiology and its programs, and required statements for use when promoting patient safety activities are outlined in The American Board of Anesthesiology Requirements for MOCA 2.0® Accredited Continuing Medical Education.
Accredited providers are required to submit learner completion data for each activity registered as meeting ABA MOCA requirements via PARS.
- Activity registration: Effective 11/1/16, activities can be registered in PARS for ABA MOCA 2.0. CME providers can register activities that are currently available or planned for the future. PARS will not accept activities that ended prior to 11/1/16.
- Participant data submission: Effective 11/1/16, PARS will be open for the submission of participant data for ABA MOCA 2.0. We encourage CME providers to submit participant data as soon as possible after the activity is completed, so that each specialty board can apply the points/credits to physicians' records.
- Participant data submission methods include web services (see additional information below), batch upload, and manual data entry.
- Registering CME Activities for MOC Points
- Ask ACCME About CME that Counts for MOC Basics
- Ask ACCME About CME and ABA MOCA 2.0
- Ask ACCME About Submitting Participants Data in PARS
- Archived Webinar: CME that Counts for ABA MOCA 2.0 and ABP MOC: A recording of the 60-minute webinar “CME that Counts for ABA MOCA 2.0 and ABP MOC," held on November 16, 2016. The webinar includes an overview of the collaboration, a description of how to register CME activities and submit participant data for MOC programs in PARS, and a question and answer session with ACCME staff.
- Archived Webinar: CME that Counts for MOC: A recording of the 60 minute webinar, "CME that Counts for MOC," held on March 15, 2017. The webinar, with the ABA, American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM), and American Board of Pediatrics (ABP), included information about the past year’s collaborations and insights from CME providers that have already been registering activities for MOC. In addition, we discussed the new developments and opportunities that are expected in the coming year, and answered questions from webinar participants.
- The American Board of Antsthesiology Requirements for MOCA 2.0® Accreditated Continuing Medical Education: The requirements accredited CME providers must meet to have their activities recognized in ABA's MOCA 2.0 program
- ABA MOCA® Content Outline: This outline provides the framework for categorizing medical education content relevant to practicing anesthesiologists.
- Technical Information for Submitting Data via Batch Upload or Web Services
Accredited CME providers: Please contact the ACCME at email@example.com.
ABA-certified physicians: Please contact ABA at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Maintenance of Certification in Anesthesiology Program®, MOCA®, MOCA 2.0®, and MOCA Minute® are registered certification marks of the American Board of Anesthesiology®.