The ACCME and the American Board of Anesthesiology® (ABA®) have collaborated to simplify the integration of the Maintenance of Certification in Anesthesiology Program® (known as MOCA 2.0®) and accredited CME. We formed this collaboration to expand the number and diversity of accredited CME activities that offer ABA MOCA 2.0 Part 2 (Lifelong Learning and Self-Assessment) credits, and to streamline the process for CME providers to register activities in ABA's MOCA 2.0 program.
For general information about registering CME activities for MOC credit, please see our CME in Support of MOC webpage.
The ACCME and the ABA have worked together to enhance the functionality of ACCME’s Program and Activity Reporting System (PARS) to allow CME providers to register activities that are relevant to anesthesiologists and directly link each CME activity to the ABA’s MOCA Minute® content outline using specific content codes. This process has important advantages for the CME provider community:
- First, because every MOCA Minute question is already linked to the content outline, ABA diplomates will be able to identify areas where they have knowledge gaps and will use the CME Finder to search for CME activities linked to these areas. This means that CME linked to these content codes will be shown to diplomates who have a demonstrated need for these specific activities. CME Finder will display ABA MOCA 2.0 CME activities beginning in 2017.
- Second, the ABA will aggregate and analyze diplomates’ performance on individual MOCA Minute questions to give CME providers content code-specific performance data, enabling providers to evaluate the reach and impact of their current CME offerings and to explore opportunities for new activities.
Accredited CME providers use the ACCME Program and Activity Reporting System (PARS) to register activities for CME that counts for ABA MOCA.
As part of this registration process, providers need to:
- Attest to compliance with ABA MOCA requirements as described in American Board of Anesthesiology Requirements for MOCA
- Agree to collect the required individual learner completion data and submit it via PARS
- Agree to abide by ABA/ACCME requirements for use of the data
- Agree to allow ACCME to publish data about the activity on ACCME’s website
- Agree to comply with requests for information about the activity if the activity is selected for an audit by the ACCME.
Accredited providers are required to submit learner completion data via PARS for each activity registered as meeting ABA MOCA requirements. We encourage you to submit learner data as soon as possible after the activity is completed, so that ABA can apply the credits to physicians' records. Learner data submission methods include web services (see additional information below), batch upload, and manual data entry.
Timeline: Learner completion data for CME that Counts for ABA MOCA should be submitted in PARS no later than December 31 of the year during which the activity was completed.
We encourage you to register your activities as soon as possible, so that diplomates can find out about them. Activities registered for ABA MOCA will be displayed in CME Finder, our online CME search tool that provides a one-stop resource for physicians seeking to earn Continuing Certification or MOC credits by participating in accredited CME.
Accredited providers within the ACCME System may use the CME\ABA MOCA 2.0 badge to identify and promote CME activities that are registered for ABA MOCA 2.0 Part 2 credits. Use of the badge is optional and may appear on any activity materials, brochures, and announcements that promote CME activities that also earn MOCA credits. Accredited providers may determine the size and placement of the badge; however, providers are not permitted to make changes to the badge. Download the ABA MOC Badge. Additional guidelines, including instruction on how to reference The American Board of Anesthesiology and its programs, and required statements for use when promoting patient safety activities are outlined in The American Board of Anesthesiology Requirements for MOCA 2.0® Accredited Continuing Medical Education.
- PDF: ABA MOCA® Content Outline
- ZIP File: ABA MOCA Badge
- FAQ: CME and ABA MOCA 2.0
- FAQ: CME that Counts for MOC Basics
- Archived Webinar: CME that Counts for MOC
Activity Registration & Learner Data Submission
Maintenance of Certification in Anesthesiology Program®, MOCA®, MOCA 2.0®, and MOCA Minute® are registered certification marks of the American Board of Anesthesiology®.